11.24.2008

blogging

Today's mail made me laugh.

I received a survey from OU, being conducted by The University of Georgia about the job market for journalism grads. Are you seeing the humor yet?

Every autumn we contact a sample of students who, the previous spring, completed their journalism/communication degree from universities around the country. We want to know if graduates were able to find employment (Um, no) after they left college and to learn about the types of work found (So far, The Daily Ardmoreite for $9.50 aaaaaand Starbucks). We want to know what strategies worked (I'd like to know too! If you could send me the responses from the successful grads, that'd be super). We also want to learn about salary and benefits received (Hahahaha).

Oh man. That made my day. But seriously, hopefully my sad answers will help future journalist wannabes. Or at least send them running for the hills.

In other news, I want to start a blog. I realize, this sounds silly to announce.... on my blog. But you know, this is my 'personal' blog. About three people read it. (maybe?) I need a blog with a point, with a topic and an angle, something that is interesting to other people, something I'm interested in and will work well as a self-marketing, journalism-career-building tool. Something I could become an expert in. Something I could actually write about and report about. Something I could write about for a long time. Something someone might actually read.

So, any good ideas?

Thus far, I have:

A baking blog. Kind of like, for fun, beginner, 20-something bakers who entertain their cool friends. Easy shortcuts, cheap solutions, super easy do-it-yourself stuff. Maybe this could branch out to food/wine, or everyday crafty stuff? (I have a weird thing for stationery).

Cheap entertainment blog. This would have to be regional. How to eat, shop and have fun cheaply. (You know, since I'm still young and broke.) Where to find this and that, creative free stuff. I feel kind of meh about this idea.

I think it might be cool to do a "process" blog. To set out on a personal experiment and document the process with the blog. Could be interesting with the right idea. The right idea that I don't have yet.

1 comment:

Zach B said...

whatever you do, i think you should design your blog so it looks like a stationary.